Saturday 6 February 2016

Inception.

No, this isn't a blog about the movie, but the start of my musings into all the things we love and despise about the world. So if you came looking for the movie, I'm sorry to disappoint, but why not stay? I could capture your interest and fill your time with several hours of mind-bending ramblings and discussion points. Just for your info, I've never seen Inception, but from what I've heard Leo DiCaprio should've won that Oscar. But oh well. Maybe it's your year, Leo?
 
So hey, bitches! And yes, I do mean that as a term of endearment. My name's Ellen, and yes, I know, such an old-fashioned name, but it's mine. And you maybe be wondering why my URL doesn't match my name. Yes, whilst my first name is one you don't hear very often for a young adult (I'm currently six months away from leaving my humble teenage years), Jenne is actually my surname. A name that's even more bizarre and unique. And yes, I have searched myself on Facebook, and I can confirm that I am the only one with my name! So take that, bitches. I've never met or heard of anyone with the same name, unlike my best mate's name "Smith", or "Jones", or even "Taylor". So I decided to use it to make my blog that little bit more special, or unforgettable, even if it means I'm known for having a weird sounding last name, that people still to this day can't seem to pronounce. It's rather embarrassing, really. It's bad enough having a wartime-esque name, without having a peculiar last name to pair with it.
Now, so why are you here? Why am I here most of the point? I'm here to broaden my mind, with my musings and not-so-simple understandings of the big bad world that I find myself in. Including topics I've written in a professional manner for my university's newspaper, the Wessex Scene. Go Stags! However, these ideas will contain more a personal insight and experience to those topics, because there's only so much you can publicise in a professional sphere! And, well, I guess you're here to listen? And that's kind of great.
 
A bit more about me. Currently a (brilliantly) average second year university student, if I do say so myself, studying History in all its glory, at the University of Southampton. This, something which is entirely baffling the 14 year old me in the back of my head, who's achieving a solid C at GCSE. Take that Treaty of Versailles and Prohibition America! I can't say that it was my ambition to be here in this position, but it works for me and I guess I'm enjoying it.
History is so satisfying, especially for someone like me who is constantly living the formidable "grey area," and have all my life. So whilst I bumble along my degree, I thought I'd immerse myself in the orb of the writer, following my long term ideal of being a Screenwriter. And if that doesn't work out, I'm sure I'll find something, even if it kills me.
Unlike my enthusiastically creative and analytical part of my brain, my parents don't work in the publishing or media industry, and have no prized degree. But they don't care, they both work in the retail industry, respectively, and have worked their now middle-aged arses off to get where they are. Even if my dad is currently unemployed and spending his days imprinting Test cricket or the Premier League into his brain. But he did that anyway, he now just has more time... Much to amusement of my mum. I don't admit it, but I do admire them for their tenacity, and ambition to make the best of the work, to give both my brother and myself the best life they can give us.
 
I like what I like. Some may not share my enthusiasm, and some may not, and that's okay, because we're all different, and we can all like our own things. I like my television. Always have and always will. From the various compilations of Scandinavian crime thrillers, and frustratingly addictive reality shows or series you happen to stumble upon on Sky, to the seriously addictive Netflix (Tip: don't get a subscription a week before your university exams). Yeah, bad move. This interest (I'm trying to steer away from the word "passion" which has been ruined by entertainment television) is probably the reason why I want to bring my ideas to life for a career. Something which has been spurred on by my hobby for reading, something which I now slave over rather than enjoy for pleasure. The first (proper) book I read at the tender age of 11. And yes, I know that's late, but I just found it boring as child, as many kids do nowadays. However, I encourage that even if you aren't an avid reader, try something simple and ease your way into it, kind of like I did- the Diamond brothers forever being my first literary partners in crime (how ironic), because there are millions of worlds to discover and embark upon. Don't go in for the big guns like War and Peace, Tolstoy didn't write that in a day, you know.  
That's kind of why I'm here, to expand my writing skills to a new format, because I feel like sharing my musings are just as important to share. Especially using words. Words are wonderful things.
 
Another MAJOR aspect of life I'm interested in, is the adventure-seeking idea of travel. Or wanderlusting, as I prefer to call it. To expand your cultural horizons. Seeing the wonders of the world, both ancient and modern. Experiencing another country's history in reality rather than through the voice of a lecturer. This, being more a short-term want of mine, to see the places further a field. I had originally planned to travel this year, visiting a not-really-friend-anymore-but-still-constant-feature-of-my-life's house in Morzine, in the French Alps, to go skiing- for the second time only in my life. Something my dad loves, but my mum hates. And also whisk off the same person off to explore the other side of the world- the glorious and majestic land that is Australia, or Oz, or whatever you prefer. I've always wanted to go, and having family friends in Melbourne; who have been pestering my parents ever since I was about 16 to go visit them, have been an impetus for my craving to see the other side of the world. Alas, those short term plans, and the surprise (which had been in the planning stages for good three months before our partnership unfortunately ended) are to be no more. So now with all this free time (out of term time, I might add), I seem to have, I've decided to seize this opportunity and actually do something with my time.
This impetus has come from a recent, and sombre experience that what brought into the forefront of my life. I'll tell you about this at a later date. I've applied to jobs; started writing more, especially for my university's publications; and hope to become more involved in university outside of the lecture theatre. This impetus also includes seizing this opportunity to travel, and do the things I want to do. Something that I'm coming to learn is very important for me, especially at this point in my life. So I'm off to see the world! When I have the money... And when I can get my unnaturally busy best friend to mind sometime to just CHILL. Yes, Penny, that is you. I'll keep you updated on this as it makes its way through the planning stages to reality. It might take a while.
 
So come with me, on this road, whatever it may be. Me and my mind are waiting for you, World. So bring your sexism, political shit, personal problems and consuming university timetable! I'm here to write my take on things, and some will be fun and light-hearted, but I'm also here to write about the serious and sometimes tough-to-swallow things that go on in my life. I'll be as delicate as I can, but I won't tolerate bullshit.
 
So cheers, bitches. I hope you've enjoyed reading this little introduction about myself, and that you've gathered that I'm quite comfortable chatting to anyone about anything. And that I probably don't know when I should shut up. So thank you for reading this post, and I'm sure I'll see you bitches around in the future.
 
Your not-so-mysterious author,
 
Ellen.
 
P.S. I have a penchant for quotes, so don't be surprise if you see one starting or concluding my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment